|Radio Station Letterheads and QSL Cards-Page 12|
|Previous Page First Page|
|This letterhead, from 1937, was for the fledgling 250 watt station in New Britain, Connecticut. WNBC went through a long series of call sign, ownership, management, and format changes, and still exists as WPOP in Hartford, an ESPN all-sports station.|
|WKBW is one of Upstate New York's bedrock stations, and this was their letterhead in 1929. It started out as a religious station ("Well Known Bible Witness") in 1926. It was best known as a top-40 rock'n'roll station through most of its history. Legal issues forced a change to the current WWKB call sign, and most recently, an ill-considered format change brought it back to a religious format of quite a different kind (left-wing talk).|
|This QSL card was from WHAZ, a station operated by the Renssalaer Polytechnic Institute, and was mailed on April 10, 1924. Under different ownership, WHAZ is still in operation in Troy, NY, as a Christian station.|
|This letterhead is from the South Bend Tribune newspaper, of South Bend, Indiana. WGAZ, which stood for "World's Greatest Automotive Zone" (a reference to Studebaker, which was headquartered there), was owned by the Tribune, and was located on the third floor of this building. The station operated under this call sign from 1922 through 1925, when it became WSBT.|
|One of Ohio's first radio stations, WJAX began operations in 1922, and continued under this call sign until 1925, when it was bought by the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company, when it became WEAR. It was eventually absorbed by WTAM, and in that guise, it continues today. WJAX, appropriately, became the call sign for a station in Jacksonville, Florida, whose letterhead appears on page 5 of this series. The images above are the front and rear covers of a WJAX brochure from the 1924-1925 period.|
Chicago's third radio station,
WJAZ, began operations in 1923, and was located in the Edgewater
Beach Hotel, with broadcasts originating from the glass-enclosed Crystal
Studio, as seen above. It was operated by the Zenith Radio
Corporation which was also founded in 1923. In March, 1924, WJAZ
was acquired by the Chicago Tribune, and it's call sign was changed to
(World's Greatest Newspaper).
The image above is one page of a WJAZ brochure from early 1924, just before the Chicago Tribune takeover. The entire brochure, in pdf format, can be seen (or downloaded) here.