RCA "Rectron" UV-196 Tube
|The UV-196 was developed and
manufactured by Westinghouse, and marketed by RCA. RCA called
their early rectifier tubes "Rectrons" (through about 1927),
in contrast to the rest of their lines which were called "Radiotrons",
a term which lasted decades longer.
The UV-196 was a full-wave rectifier intended for use in B-battery eliminators. It was introduced in 1925, and was only sold for a relative short time. It is quite rare.
Unlike the familiar full wave rectifier (in which the filaments were connected in parallel), this tube has two independent filaments, and the two plates are connected together. By 1925, the use of the brass base for receiving tubes had ended, but itwas necessary in this tube as the plate connection was made through the metallic base.